Wednesday, November 23, 2011

'Tis the season to prepare

After 4 weeks of presentations, games, and review, the class had their 1st quiz on the 10 Commandments. Not so good for the overall scores, but a few really studied and did very well. We'll be reviewing the quiz in two weeks as next week is Reconciliation. We also reviewed the steps of Confession from start to finish, including what is said, so the kids would feel more comfortable as most have not gone since last year. We reviewed the Act of Contrition again. This time I printed up very large font signs with parts of the prayer held by 6 volunteers in the front. Then as a class they reordered the prayer correctly with just a little help and we recited it out load with each added part and then all the way through twice. I'm grateful that the prayer is available in the Confessional as I don't feel most of the students could recite it by heart. I also taught them the parable of the Prodigal Son. I was suprised that none of the students could tell me anything about the story prior to starting. I'm certain they heard it at least last year in preparation for their First Reconciliation. I plan to review and re-present this parable in a different way prior to the Reconciliation planned during Lent.

I made a battery operated Advent wreath to use in the classroom during the season. For less then $7, I was pleased. I used a plastic silver charger plate, silver battery operated candles wrapped in purple and pink paper, artificial evergreen wreath, and purple curled ribbons spilling out of the middle. The Christ candle was silver wrapped in white and placed in the center on top of a small circle plastic tub to elevate it. The ribbons are taped onto the plastic tub and spill onto the wreath. If I figure out how to upload a picture, then I'll post it for fun. The Advent wreath craft went over well (http://www.first-school.ws/activities/bible/advent1.htm) We went over the significance of the colors, meanings of the candles (hope, love, joy, peace), and the season of Advent as preparation for Christ's birth.

As I review today's class, I am hoping that at least some of the information was sown as seeds into their minds and hearts. Next week, I will give them the same examination of conscience I sent home to be reviewed with their parents. I'm interested to see how Reconciliation goes with all the CCD classes at the same time. If I remember correctly, when I was in CCD I believe different grades went at different times and days. So I'm hoping that with all the potential distractions, the students will remain focused and will be prepared to receive the grace of our merciful and loving God.

My son will be making his First Reconciliation next week. On the way home, he said "I'm so excited!" My mother's heart rejoices!! For the second graders, I will be making white chocolate covered prezels. I found the idea here (http://www.catechist.com/tip.html). Scroll down to January 2011 by Lori Crawford, Our Lady of Light Parish, Ft. Myers, FL. I'm sure they'll love her treat idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment